Re: pptp-based vpn

On 12/08/2015 14:56, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Wednesday 12 August 2015 14:04:37 martin.m@suddenlink.net wrote:
       Now think, for a second how much money it costs to outfit
a van with high-quality broad-spectrum radio receivers, a person to
drive and another to tune and evaluate what he/she is receiving
and whether or not it is from a TV tuner or Heaven knows what
else.
They have a much simpler solution.  They barely bother with the vans (they
exist, I believe, though I have never seen one).  They see a house.  They see
an electoral register.  They assume a television.  They check for a licence.
No licence?  They assume criminality.  And start bullying.
I suffer from them, I haven't had a tv since 1971, and they can't let go,
now if we displayed the same paranoia in our interactions with others around us
accusing them of owing us money when they do not, the it is highly likely we
wound get committed under the mental health act.

If you insist that you haven't got a television, they do seem to make some
sort of effort to check, because I have not been in prison.  But they
continue to bully you.  After all, you might buy or be given one.  If you buy
it from a shop, the shop has to tell the authorities, but you might buy one
on eBay or from a neighbour.

And you underestimate the cost, both in money terms and to society.  Let us
take the  clichéd typical non-licence buyer: a single mother on a very low
income.  When she goes to prison for non-payment of her licence, her children
go into care.  Those children are almost inevitably damaged by our
so-called "care" system, and society then has, often monetarily expensive,
problems for years to come.

The care alone, even were there no societal cost, costs several orders of
magnitude more money than the £145.50 cost of a TV licence.  The trial alone,
too, will have cost more than that!  Then there is the cost of keeping her in
prison.
that is the problem, we have to punish sinners, we are after all obsessed with it I am led to believe it demonstrates our righteousness, but that is not my opinion.

And will she pay her TV licence next year?  Probably not, because she still
will chose to feed her children if she hasn't got enough money for both.  And
when she looks for a job, when her youngest child starts school, she will
have difficulty getting one because she has a criminal record.

Lisi