Re: wget vs curl (was ... Re: debian 8)

Quoting Bob Proulx (bob@proulx.com):
> David Wright wrote:
> > So I typed curl in place of wget and...
> >
> > jessie $ curl http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/jessie_di_rc2/i386/iso-cd/debian-jessie-DI-rc2-i386-netinst.iso
>
> Caution.  'curl' outputs to stdout.  There is no redirection in the
> above.  If it had worked then it would have spewed the binary iso at
> your terminal.  With curl you need to redirect the output to a file
> whereas wget does that by default.

Yes, I discovered that by surprise when curl succeeded in downloading
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/jessie_di_rc2/i386/iso-cd/SHA512SUMS

So I've tried using

curl -O -C - http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/jessie_di_rc2/i386/iso-cd/SHA512SUMS

(the -C - was just an experiment to see if I can default it in a script)
and this seems to indicate another failing of curl in that the output
file has the wrong timestamp (ie it's <now>). Which is odd because
curl's -z option would only seem to make sense if the local file has
the original timestamp.

 14784 Mar 27 11:45 /tmp/wget/SHA512SUMS
 14784 Apr  8 17:40 /tmp/curl/SHA512SUMS

Cheers,