Trailing "m"s at the end of every line when viewing man pages

I am experiencing a very strange phenomenon.  I have an old IBM 3151
ASCII display terminal that has been lying around the house;
and today I decided to see if I could get it connected up to one
of my PCs, which runs Debian GNU/Linux (jessie).  I was successful
in doing this.  But when I login to Debian from the IBM 3151 terminal,
I have noticed some strange goings on.  The system locale is
en_US.UTF-8.  But of course this old terminal is mostly 7-bit ASCII,
though it does support vt100 graphic character escape sequences for
box drawing.  I have modified ~/.bashrc so that if the terminal type
($TERM) is ibm3151, I set LANG to en_US, and that has solved some
problems.  But when I issue the MAN command, I see lower-case "m"s
at the end of each line.

I tried searching the internet with the keywords

   trailing m at the end of each line with man

but it produced no useful results.  Ideas, anyone?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :