Re: e2fsck.conf and ssh_known_hosts: where?

 Hi.

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:09:44 -0600
Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> While searching in /var to see if I could find e2fsck.conf without
> asking I found an empty directory, /var/cache/openssh-known-hosts .
>
> The Debian wiki has an article about how to use ssh-keyscan to build a
> small database of known hosts for use on a LAN. The article says the
> file (not directory) of known hosts should placed in /etc/ssh. Is
> Debian's plan to move to using /var for a known-hosts DB? or is the
> empty directory just some cruft?  I think a directory is a better way
> than a file, because it is easier to make atomic changes in directory
> structure than adding/removing individual lines in a file. Both /var
> and /etc are OK as a location, for me. Does the software that
> implements known-host checking at ssh-login-time look in both places?
> Does it look for both names (hyphens vs. underscores)?

/var/cache/openssh-known-hosts is used by [1] as a temporary storage.

A conventional known-hosts DB is still residing where it belongs, i.e.
$HOME/.ssh/known-hosts and /etc/ssh_known_hosts (and these two are
still single files).

[1] https://packages.debian.org/jessie/openssh-known-hosts

REco