Re: apt update problems

Charlie <ariestao@ipstarmail.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 23:13:51 +0100 Brian sent:
>> On Sun 05 Oct 2014 at 08:46:12 +1100, Charlie wrote:

>>> W: Failed to fetch http://http.debian.net/jessie/dists/main/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages 404  Not Found

>> Knowing what was in your sources.list would save having to guess what
>> you have done incorrectly.

> This is how it was, a single line in my /etc/apt/sources.list:

> deb http://http.debian.net/jessie main non-free contrib

> I think I read that that was the way it should be written, but as you
> say, obviously incorrect.

The correct line is:

deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie main contrib non-free

Your line is missing the "/debian " before "jessie". This is why apt-get
tries to download nonsensical URLs.

There are four parts to a line in sources list:

type URL suite/release components...

- Type is in most cases "deb" or "deb-src".

- URL is the base-URL for the mirror, in most cases
  "http://hostname/debian";.

- suite/release is something like "stable" or "testing" or
  "wheezy-backports" or "jessie"

- componentens then are "main", "contrib" etc.

Your line had the intended suite/release munged into the base-URL of the
mirror. Thus apt parsed "main" as your wanted release and "non-free" and
"contrib" as wanted componentens. This is of course incorrect and you
got your 404 during "apt-get update".

Grüße,
Sven.

--