Re: lvm: creating a snapshot

On 10/04/2014 04:09 PM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2014, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 08:43:06PM +0200, lee wrote:
>>> Can I create a snapshot over the network on disks an another
>>> machine?
>>
>> No
>
> You can, but not trivially. Use nbd, iscsi or similar to share a block
> device over the network, and then use lvm on top of that.

The problem is the OP expects to make a snapshot of something in one
pool, reside on a different pool.  That's a mutually exclusive concept,
regardless of what technology you're using.

Just make a copy of the logical volume onto another volume group, or
better yet, some other type of backup.

Reading the OP's posts, I think they're a little confused about what
volume groups are, and how to use logical volumes. There might also be
some confusion over snapshot vs backup copy.  It's hard to tell, because
I think they mostly get the concepts involved.

- PaulNM