Re: Should I install chkrootkit?

On 06/07/2014 07:38 AM, Horatio Leragon wrote:

[that on 2014-06-07 at 2:35, Ralf Mardorf wrote:]

>> but I agree that Horatio needs to learn, how to inform himself.
>> Self-responsibility is mandatory when using *nix, so it's better to
>>  introduce Linux to him at the OT mailing list.
>
> How do you know that I don't learn on my own?
>
> When I offered two examples of answers that I got on my own effort,
> the so-called experts here lambasted not just me but the providers of
> the answers as well. It goes to show that those guys, Jerry Stuckup,
> Andrew McGlasgow, Bzzz are nothing but losers.

As far as I understand it, you presented those answers as answers you
were given by people in other places, not as answers you got on your own
effort.

Answers you got on your own effort would be, for example, if you had
literally put together those commands yourself, based on understanding
what the tools involved do, and knowing what each step does - the kind
of understanding which could, albeit with difficulty, be gotten from
reading man pages and other documentation.

Note that I never said those were bad answers - just that they weren't
"awesome" ones, because while they may solve your immediate problem at
hand, they don't help you get into a position where you don't need to
ask for answers anymore because you can figure the answers out by yourself.

(Providing an answer that just solves the immediate problem at hand
isn't a bad thing, but when someone keeps asking one question after
another after another about relatively simple things, it's better to
help that person learn to help themselves than to just keep providing
solutions to each new "immediate problem at hand" every time.)

And as far as I recall, I never said anything about the people who
provided those answers at all, except that I don't know much of anything
about them.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.