Re: debmirror not installing libdigest-sha-perl, even though it is a dependency

On Jo, 10 apr 14, 21:24:38, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 4/9/14, Kushal Kumaran <kushal.kumaran+debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> writes:
> >> Any idea why the following:
> >>
> >> $ dpkg -s debmirror|grep Status
> >>
> >> $ apt-cache show debmirror|grep Depends
> >> Depends: perl (>= 5.10), libnet-perl, libdigest-md5-perl,
> >> libdigest-sha-perl, liblockfile-simple-perl, rsync, bzip2, libwww-perl
> >> (>= 5.815), libnet-inet6glue-perl
> >>
> >> $ dpkg -s libdigest-sha-perl|grep Status
> >> dpkg-query: package 'libdigest-sha-perl' is not installed and no
> >> information is available
> >
> > The perl package provides libdigest-sha-perl.
> > https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libdigest-sha-perl
>
> So why is it also a separate package? It is clear I am not
> understanding something here.

Not sure what you're looking for, but let me try to explain:

debmirror Depends: libdigest-sha-perl. From the output above it seems
that on your system the dependency is satisfied by the Provides:
libdigest-sha-perl of package perl, so there is no reason to have the
real package libdigest-sha-perl installed.

dpkg can't tell anything about the libdigest-sha-perl package because
it's not installed on your system.

Hope this explains,
Andrei