Re: Ways to use DDNS with your own domain name (was Re: DynDNS no longer free.)

On 11/04/14 04:34, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:19 AM, David Guntner <david@guntner.com> wrote:
>> > what you want to do is
>> > create a CNAME record for the domain - set a CNAME of mydomain.org that
>> > points to myhostname.someddns.com.
>> >
>> > Presto!  Now when you try to access your home machine, you can simply
>> > refer to mydomain.org and it will point you to the correct place.  You
>> > can also set up CNAME records for subdomains (whatever.mydomain.org) to
>> > point to your DDNS hostname as well.
> List newbie chiming in here, hope I'm not out of line!
>
> CNAMEs are immensely helpful, but they do have their limitations, so
> be careful. You can't, for instance, have a CNAME on mydomain.org and
> then also have an MX record on mydomain.org

You can't have a CNAME record for mydomain.org full stop.

You can only have a CNAME record if you have no other records for the
same label, and the label 'mydomain.org', being the top of your
delegated tree, will have SOA and NS records at least.

If you want to do this trick, you need to create a new name such as
www.mydomain.org as a CNAME record.

Then there's no problem creating an MX record for mydomain.org pointing
to myhostname.someddns.com, which is just as flexible as the CNAME.

Richard