Re: Net install cd, Not a Bug Report!!

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014, Miles Wade wrote:

> Guys!
>
> I want to thank ya'll for how well the net installation CD image
> works. I have spent many days attempting to install various
> distributions from CDs and DVDs ubuntu, fedora, suse mint etc. None
> of them could get past the partition editor stage of the install
> process. I have no clues why none of them worked. My understanding of
> Linux is at best intermediate.

I've installed and used all those distros -- and more -- and never had
any partitioning problems whether I let the installer do it, or used
the "guided" option, or did it 100% manually.  My guess is that you
did something wrong somewhere along the way.

> In an attempt to make a "final" try. I downloaded a Debian 7.4 Net
> Install CD image to do a net install.  Success! I've used the same
> disk on 4 different computers and it's worked every time.  Whatever
> partitioning tool is on that disk far surpasses what's on the other
> distros. Something on those other distros is seriously broken so
> please don't change your partition editor.

I doubt if the other partitioners are broken.

> What started this spasm of Linux activity is the April 8th, XP
> Apocalypse/Shutdown of support. I refuse to deal with Windows 8.X.
> My major reason for all the effort was to replace my old installs of
> XP Pro. I need to get a clear understanding of at least one flavor of
> Linux OS. It looks like Debian will be it.

Remember: Linux isn't Windows. So don't think it works the same way
because the GUIs look similar.  Linux is a whole different kind of
beast.

I suggest you get a good Linux reference book to study.
I started with RUNNING LINUX (O'Reilly, pub.).  The latest edition is
5,released 2005, which is a little dated, but not much.  Buy a used one
or find one of the free pdf downloads on the 'Net.  It'll get you
started.

Welcome to Debian.