more than 12G of RAM

I'm running Jessie on an AMD64 Gigabyte 970A-D3P board with an FX6100 processor. I had 2x4G DDR3 sticks in it but some of the programs I use were causing excessive thrashing. I added a 1x8G DDR3 stick (got a good price on it, much cheaper than adding 2x4G) which resolved the thrashing problem.

The BIOS shows I have 16G but free shows only 12G. I also ran free on a machine with 2x8G DDR3 running Wheezy and it showed 16G when I ran free. This suggests that the kernel is handling 16G (as one would expect) in the general case and the issue is likely due to my setup.

Since the BIOS shows the full 16G, the problem doesn't seem to be on the mainboard. Is there an issue with running interleaved and non-interleaved RAM together on the Jessie kernels?