Re: Sources.list file for Debian Wheezy

Muntasim-Ul-Haque wrote:
> I use two repositories for Debian Wheezy for the same purpose. One
> of them is "HTTP" and another one is "FTP". My two alternatives
> sources.list are as follows:

> "*/deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main/**/
> /**/deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main/**/
> /**/
> /**/deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-updates main/**/
> /**/deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-updates main/**/
> /**/
> /**/deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main/**/
> /**/deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main/*"

What is up with the */ and /**/ stuff?  Is that really in your file?
Or did you put them there for some purpose?  The comment syntax for
the sources.list file is the '#' character not C style comments.  And
that first line with "*/" is bogus either way.

The above is using the new http.debian.net redirector.  You can read
about it here:

  http://http.debian.net/

  https://wiki.debian.org/DebianGeoMirror

> Another sources.list is,
>
> "*/deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main/**/
> /**/deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main/**/
> /**/
> /**/deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main/**/
> /**/deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main/**/
> /**/
> /**/deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main/**/
> /**/deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main/*"

That one is using the truly global non-geographic ftp.debian.org
alias.  At one time that used to contain several IP addresses.  Now it
only contains one.  I hadn't heard that it was a CDN.  I think it
might be the single Debian machine klecker in the Netherlands.

> Now I want to know which sources.list should I use for Debian
> Wheezy? Which would be better?

The usual recommendation is to use the mirror list for your country.

  http://www.debian.org/mirror/list

For example the US mirror list would be ftp.us.debian.org.  The
Australia mirror list would be ftp.au.debian.org.  You can't go wrong
using one of the official mirrors for your country.  Here is a
complete example for the US.

  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main
  deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main
  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main
  deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main
  deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
  deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main

More recently the http redirector has gained some momentum.  It has
been working well for me.  If you were traveling often through many
different countries then I recommend using the http.debian.net
redirector as it will usually do the best thing for your location.
Note that as a debian.net instead of debian.org this indicates that is
is a Debian Developer project but not an official part of Debian
itself yet.  Many services start out as debian.net services and then
if they prove worthy are migrated into the core debian.org
infrastructure.

Here is a complete example set using the http redirector.

  deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main
  deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main
  deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-updates main
  deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-updates main