Re: packages status

Diogene Laerce wrote:
> Is there a simple way to get the list of packages installed since the fresh
> installation of deby ?

How long ago was your fresh installation?  There are backups of the
dpkg package status kept in /var/backups that go back a week.  And if
you have a system backup you could retrieve older copies going back as
far as your backups.  Those files list what is installed on the
machine and could be used to make this deduction.

  $ zcat /var/backups/dpkg.status.6.gz | grep-dctrl -s Package -n "install ok installed" | sort > /tmp/list.prev

  $ grep-status -s Package -n "install ok installed" | sort > /tmp/list.now

  $ comm -3 /tmp/list.prev /tmp/list.now

However it would also be easy to generate a package list for a default
installation.  Since any default installation on the same hardware
would have the same packages installed.  It is a repeatable operation.
Then you could compare what is now installed to what is installed in a
default installation.

If you told me your system architecture and what selections you chose
for your system I would probably be able to generate a list that would
be very close to accurate.  It would be different due to motherboard
driver differences but perhaps those are not the packages you are
interested in knowing about?

Bob