apt-pinning, strange behavior

Since I had to reinstall from my last kernel error, I decided to stay with stable on that computer, but I need some softwares in less outdated versions, like development libraries or i3 ( this one is not a need but a question of comfort, I admit ), so I want to use apt-pining.

I have set all packages from stable to a priority of 900 and testing packages with 500. But tzdata wants to upgrade, for an unknown reason. Explicitly making it to a priority of 900 for stable fixes that, but I can not understand why it is needed?