Re: How many packages in Sid

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 10:52:48PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-09-05 at 22:16 +0200, sp113438 wrote:
> > How do I find out the number of packages currently in Sid?
>
> This doesn't give any information about the quantity of software
> available from upstream,

Which is not what the OP asked.

> since Debian does split the software from upstream to several
> packages.

Which is a good thing. It allows versatility in an installation. e.g.
You may want an ssh client, but not an ssh server running.
Also, don't confuse library packages with leaf packages. It makes far
more sense to separate out common code into a library and make it an
individual package where it only needs to be installed *ONCE* but can be
shared. Compare this to monolithic packages, where the *SAME* code is
installed over and over again, and you get everything but the kitchen
sink WHETHER you need it or not!!!

> some distros don't do this,

Really? Name one.

> so a distro
> might provide less packages, but could provide more software.

Really? Name one.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X