Re: debian-6.0.7-amd64 how to set resolution and refresh for free NVIDIA X drivers?

Le Mer 10 avril 2013 11:28, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
> On Wed, 2013-04-10 at 10:51 +0200, "Morel Bérenger" wrote:
>
>> In last kernels (around 3.8), it seems that there is also support for
>> better 3D acceleration
>
> Nouveau was a PITA for a long time, but nowadays it usually works like a
> charm, 3D acceleration is very good.

It is not still not working like a charm, since I tried kernel 3.8 to try
a game (regnum online, bugged as hell, but at least it have a linux client
which is playable) which perfectly works with official NVidia. The result
with nouveau of 3.8 was only a black screen (for 3.2 the game simply said
that some features were lacking and closed).

Another problem I know by following linuxfr, is that automatic adjustment
of fan speed according to temperature is not functional. At least,
according to a guy who claimed to be a contributor of nouveau :) (I did
not checked his assertions, I have other things to do than mistrust people
which give fairly good technical explanations and are recognized by more
ancient people of the community than me)

There is still a lack of support for dual card configuration (I have such
configuration, but I do not use it anyway: my two cards are just cheap
ones and the second were bought after an error of mine about which
component of my computer was out of order...) and IIRC card switching that
we can find in some portable computers.

Of course, those features which are lacking are only for special cases,
and for all other stuff, nouveau is really good, my intent is not to deny
that fact, and I am waiting impatiently to see the 3.8 kernel in debian
testing, to get rid of that piece of crap named nvidia drivers, which only
give me problems and the ability to play one or two games I could not
otherwise play (nexuiz is still unplayable with nouveau 3.2 too, but it's
engine really became a PITA in performance point of view).

Wesnoth, unvanquished, openmw and so many other which have a free engine
works like a charm (on the graphic point of view, since I have real
problems with unvanquished, which I should try to solve, one day, because
this game is a really good -and different than average FPS- one).

Anyway, nouveau have always (since I know it, so, not so many time, maybe
2 years :D) be the best when you have no need for 3D features.
And now, 3D features are coming, so, I will profit from that message to
say "Good job, guys, and thanks you a lot!" to it's developers.