Re: Scheduling btrfs scrub on desktop systems

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 05:25:48PM +0200, Steven Post wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 01:12 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 11:46:59AM +0200, Steven Post wrote:
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > I'm using btrfs on several systems, both servers and desktops, and I
> > > have scheduled scrub jobs for the servers.
> > > But what would be the best way schedule these jobs on desktop systems
> > > where you don't know exactly when they will be powered on?
> > >
> > > The desktops in question are running Debian Wheezy.
> >
> > anacron?
>
> I should have thought about that...
>
> But what if the system is powered down during a scrub? Will it continue
> when it boots up again?
> All assuming the scrub is started with 'btrfs scrub start -B <path>'.

Ummm, dunno, I know nothing about btrfs (except that it is an
experimental filesystem with some interesting features), that's why I
had the question mark after anacron.

Who is likely to power it down during a scrub?
(user education?)

Maybe, have some sort of wrapper round the shutdown/halt command, which
can detect if a scrub is occuring?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X