Re: Pidgin makes noise

Curt, 21.01.2013:

> Have you seen a case where the pcspkr module is loaded and the bell is
> silent?
>
> I asked a related question many moons ago when my bell fell inexplicably
> silent (I liked the bell then but live without it).

I don't remember the beginning details of this thread so I'm not sure
if you had a working bell on your console before.  I've seen it
mentioned on this list in the past, that a lot of laptops come without
the pc speaker physically present.  On the laptop I'm typing this on, an
Averatec bought in 2004, I don't think I ever got a beep on the console,
though pcspkr is loaded.  However, the gnome/kde sound systems have made
the bell sound under X, and I never dug into really testing things for
the console.  (The desktop environment bell substitute even lets you
choose your sound effect: a ring, a bark, etc.)