Re: Re (2): Percentage noted by network manager.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 07:43:56AM -0800, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Date:	Thu, 03 Jan 2013 19:07:38 +0000
> > This being a Wireless connection, it's more likely to be signal
> > strength.
>
> My original thought also.
>
> > ... no attenuation = 100% ...
>
> I don't understand.  Any received signal which is too weak to
> saturate the receiver should not need attenuation.  Every such
> signal is marked as 100%?  Whereas any signal which saturates
> the receiver will be attenuated.  Such signal is marked as less
> than 100%?  Seems counter intuitive.

I was rather meaning how much the signal is attenuated between the
sender and receiver.

However, doing a quick bit of searching suggests that the whole "link
quality as a percentage" thing is more like voodoo:
http://en.usenet.digipedia.org/thread/18494/13225/
http://www.rigacci.org/wiki/doku.php/doc/appunti/linux/sa/wifi_signal_quality