Re: Util-linux package was removed and the system is not bootable.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 06:19:09PM +0000, Mike O wrote:
> ozhan fenerci <o_fenerci <at> yahoo.com.tr> writes:
>

> > Dear List,I know I am not supposed to delete util-linux but it was removed
> > by the command " apt-get remove util-linux'. After I rebooted the computer,
> > the grub shows no linux boot disk. I wonder how I can recover my system
> > back.
> >

> I'd second using a live cd or usb. After you boot into the live environment,
> you should be able to mount your partitions. Download a *.deb for util-linux,
> copy it to your partition, 'chroot' into your system and 'dpkg -i' it. You
> might also being able to 'aptitude install' it, but I don't know how much not
> having util-linux will cripple aptitude (or even dpkg).

If dpkg -i fails for some reason (if the maintainer scripts depend on
util-linux already being installed, for example), then you can unpack
it by hand within the chroot:

ar x /var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.20.1-5.2_amd64.deb data.tar.gz
tar xfvz data.tar.gz

and then immediately install it with dpkg so that its database is
correct:

dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.20.1-5.2_amd64.deb

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh