Re: virtual consoles

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 07:08:49AM -0700, james gray wrote:
>    Does any one know of - info source to set up virtual consoles in the
>    network install of Debian Squeeze 6.0�
>
>    that comes from here:
>
>    [1]http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>
>    it is installed and functional.
>
>    I am not using a GUI.�
>
>    I am using the command line only.
>
>    if i do press simultaneously the ctrl or alt and any one of the f1 through
>    f6 keys the buzzer buzzes. v consoles - no functionality.
>
>    i have seen /etc/ConsoleKit
>
>    and did do a internet search with words:
>
>    debian squeeze /etc/ConsoleKit
>
>    and see that it tracks user actions.
>
>    i also see /etc/console-setup�
>
>    and did a search on that also
>
>    a lot of chatter on fonts and migrate from Lenny bugs with no fruit in set
>    up or configure.
>
>    �any assistance�

OK. You've been following a bit of a red-herring there, but that's only
to be expected. Virtual Terminals, themselves are controlled by the
kernel, but most relevant is the program that runs on the virtual
terminal and asks for your login details. This is called a "getty" and
is configured in /etc/inittab. You should see a series of lines such
as:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

The first colon-separated field is a label. The second states which
run-levels the program should run in, the third is a command to init and
the fourth is the program to run. So, as you can see, in my case I get
six VTs in runlevel 2 (my default).

So, firstly, check that you have these lines. If you don't have that
many, then, obviously you can't switch to those that you don't have.

Next, make sure you're pressing "CTRL+ALT+Fx" (where x is the number of
the VT you want to go to). If that still doesn't work, try the "chvt"
program from the "kbd" package. "sudo chvt 1" SHOULD take you to VT 1.
If that works, but the key-combination doesn't, then you may have a
keyboard configuration issue.