Re: Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid

On 9/30/2012 5:14 PM, Charles Kroeger wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 09:00:01 +0200
Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:

did you run

$nvidia-xconfig

I tried your suggestion and got this:

~$ nvidia-xconfig
bash: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

and this one:

$ $nvidia-xconfig
bash: -xconfig: command not found

and this:

# nvidia-xconfig
bash: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

what package is nvidia-xconfig in? Why would I need this, and what does it do? I
don't think it creates a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I've read similar letters with
old dates like 2010 that suggested this solution but I believe it's redundant.

It works for me. I have the complete nvidia "suite" installed. Not the CUDA stuff, nor the Tesla stuff, but everything related to the packaged proprietary driver. It *does* create an xorg.conf file if one is not present. In general, the xorg.conf file is considered unnecessary, and possibly even deprecated. In new installs, everything pretty much "just works". However, on my elderly install, even though it's wheezy with excursions into sid, it still requires me to have the file, and I occasionally have to run nvidia-xconfig to reset it when something messes with it. I suppose I should create a backup, but....we all have our hangups.

Anyway, what you are looking for is in its own package, named, oddly enough, nvidia-xconfig.