Re: Storage server

On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 09:28:09PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Consider the consequenzes:
>
> If the server fails, you possibly wouldn´t know why cause the monitoring
> information wouldn´t be available anymore. So at least least Nagios /
> Icingo send out mails, in case these are not stored on the server as well,
> or let it relay the information to another Nagios / Icinga instance.

Ideally, Icinga/Nagios/any server would be on HA system but that,
unfortunately is not an option. But of course, Icinga can't monitor
system it's on, so I plan to monitor it from my own machine.

> What data do you backup? From where does it come?

Like I said, it's several dedicated, mostly web servers with users
uploaded content on one of them (that part is expected to grow). None of
them is in the same data center.

> I still think backup should be separate from other stuff. By design.
> Well for more fact based advice we´d require a lot more information on
> your current setup and what you want to achieve.
>
> I recommend to have a serious talk about acceptable downtimes and risks
> for the backup with the customer if you serve one or your boss if you work
> for one.

I talked to my boss about it. Since this is backup server, downtime is
acceptable to him. Regarding risks of data loss, isn't that the reason
to implement RAID configuration? "R" stands for redundancy. If hard disk
fails, it will be replaced and RAID will be rebuild with no data loss.
If processor or something else fails, it will be replaced with expected
downtime of course.

> --
> Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
> GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA  B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7

Regards,
Veljko