Re: alsa-base breaks linux-sound-base

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Du, 02 sep 12, 16:42:30, lee wrote:
>> downgrade. I'm surprised that there are so many packages from unstable
>> installed, though. Yet that will fix itself over time when the packages
>> now in unstable make it into testing, I guess.
>
> This will not happen until after the release. Testing is frozen, which
> means only packages fixing release critical bugs will migrate to testing
> and only with the Release Team's approval.

Does this cause problems? There's probably a good reason for all the
packages from unstable to be installed since aptitude doesn't install
packages from unstable just randomly.

I wish there was a good way to keep track of all these changes ... The
admin would enter why some change was performed, and the package
management would record in detail what changes were made for this, and
then we could simply produce a list of what changes were made when and
why. Maybe we could even roll back to a previous state easily by simply
undoing the changes that were made. For example, downgrading from the
not fully working NVIDIA drivers took several hours because it was
rather difficult to figure out what needed to be done for that while it
should have been a simple and trivial thing to do.

For now, I removed linux-sound-base which triggered the removal of
alsa-base, upgraded the packages that were pending and re-installed
alsa-base. Perhaps I still have sound after the next reboot ...

--
Debian testing amd64