Re: Debian multimedia repository

On 03/08/12 04:00 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 03:17:08PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
It's not Christian's fault that there are incompatibilities. There
are things in the programs he packages that require libraries to be
compiled differently from the ones in the Debian repositories. He's
aware of the conflicts but is not in a position to resolve them as
far as I can tell. It may not even be possible to resolve them.
So you seem to know more than:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/FAQ

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2012-April/026170.html
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2012-April/026219.html

A google search:
"Christian Marillat" site:lists.alioth.debian.org
is also revealing.
I take the view that there are usually two sides to a story. It's been a while since I've exchanged e-mails with Christian but his version of the story is a little different.

Anyway, I'm not going to dis anyone who puts his personal time toward making software freely available. As I said earlier, I've stopped using his repository rather reluctantly. He has some nice stuff that I'd love to see in the official tree.