Re: [OT] Imperial measures

On 10/06/2011 04:18 PM, Weaver wrote:
On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 16:56:27 +0100
Lisi<lisi.reisz@gmail.com>  wrote:

On Wednesday 05 October 2011 01:02:36 Weaver wrote:
I think it's a pity that the gill has fallen into misuse.
Its usefulness is limited by the fact that it is not a fixed measure,
but covers various different amounts according to the region in which
it is used, anyhow in the UK.  Hence, I imagine its decline, with the
ubiquity of television cooks.
In a professional food career that spans over forty years, from base
level commis pastry chef to successful consultancy practice, I have
never known a gill to be any other than 150ml.
The vast majority of 'TV cooks' are a social sub-group that I'm afraid
I have grown to despise in the interim, especially in regard to pastry
work, where many professional chefs could not be rated as any more than
woeful.
Regards,

Weaver.
The units program says a gill is 118.3 ml.  If you look at the data
script for units, there is a very impressive list of sources.  I believe
that the units program was first mentioned in this thread, so it is
definitely available in Debian.

--doug