Re: [OT] Imperial measures

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 21:43:55 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 06 October 2011 21:18:41 Weaver wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 16:56:27 +0100
> >
> > Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Its usefulness is limited by the fact that it is not a fixed
> > > measure, but covers various different amounts according to the
> > > region in which it is used, anyhow in the UK.  Hence, I imagine
> > > its decline, with the ubiquity of television cooks.
> >
> > In a professional food career that spans over forty years, from base
> > level commis pastry chef to successful consultancy practice, I have
> > never known a gill to be any other than 150ml.
> > The vast majority of 'TV cooks' are a social sub-group that I'm
> > afraid I have grown to despise in the interim, especially in regard
> > to pastry work, where many professional chefs could not be rated as
> > any more than woeful.
>
> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gill

Then 'wiktionary' and 'regions' are wrong.
I have worked through northern Italy, France, Austria, Australia and New
Zealand and have never come across a variance.
Perhaps a higher authority?

http://www.amazon.com/Larousse-Gastronomique-Greatest-Encyclopedia-Completely/dp/0307464911

You should find a copy in the library of your local food college.
Regards,

Weaver.
--
"In a world without walls and fences,
what need have we for Windows or Gates?"