Re: How to use ALSA from the kernel?

On 06/07/11 at 02:46am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 19:38 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
> > On 06/07/11 at 01:05am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > Hi :)
> > >
> > > after removing all ALSA packages, excepted of libasound2, ALSA is
> > > broken. I kept libasound2, because it's a dependency for audio apps. If
> > > needed I could replace it by a dummy package.
> > >
> > What packages did you remove? They were probably necessary for ALSA to function. Libasound2 for example is required for any program which tries to use ALSA. It *is* the alsa library.
>
> You have sniped text ;).

Ayuh.

> I removed all ALSA 1.0.23 packages, excepted of libasound. Just
> re-installing the packages won't enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA
> or am I mistaken?

You are mistaken. At least try it and see. Did sound work *before* you started ripping the guts out of your ALSA install?
You should at least have libasound2, alsa-base and alsa-utils (useful for not having to unmute your speakers after every reboot)

> My problem isn't that ALSA from the packages is broken, but that I don't
> know how to enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA.

Try aplay -l and let us see what you have. I don't know what you mean by 'enable', given that ALSA is a library with a set of kernel modules. You load the module, and programs linked against the library should be able to output or configure sound.

> I can't use 1.0.23, see
> http://wiki.linuxproaudio.org/index.php/Driver:hdspm

I see that the driver for hdspm is included in the 2.6.39 kernel tree.

> I build packages for 1.0.24, but those failed, hence I removed them too.

How did they fail? Why did you try to use it? Why do you think 1.0.23 won't work for you?

--
Liam