Re: Debian 6 64-bit and Openbox: Opinions, Suggestions, Pitfalls.

--- On Mon, 2/28/11, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:

>>  On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com
>> wrote:
>>
>> Having tired of Fedora's short support life (13 months)--I've been using
>> [snip]
>>

> first, debian comes with apparmor by default iirc. i haven't looked much
> into the default config of apparmor, but it doesn't seem to get in the
> way because it doesn't seem to be configured to do much.

As others have pointed out, Debian uses SELinux, but if you do only a Base install, SELinux won't be installed.  You'll get an empty selinux directory and a couple selinux libraries, probably for apps dependency.  For all practical purposes, SELinux is absent.  Saves me from having to turn it off.

> second, you could always go with chrome os. i don't think you get much
> slimmer (fwvm maybe) :)

Looked at this, but it's designed for web-based apps, Cloud computing.  Doesn't fit my requirements.

> last, use zsh, screen, vi, and links and you'll be all set. hardly any
> wasted cpu cycles :)  (i could use a smaller shell, jobs/fg instead of
> screen, something lesser than vim, and lynx - but, i want to enjoy life)

I'm not really looking for a lightweight install for a slow, old system.  My reasons, as I said in another post, for abandoning the traditional desktop and going pure window manager is mostly philosophical, but if the system runs faster and smoother, and has less crap on it that I don't need, I won't complain.

Plus, if all goes well, I do have a 10-year-old Thinkpad 240X with Debian Etch/XFCE on it that is due for an upgrade.  Yes, I still use it.