Re: [Fwd: Re: Getting connected to Verizon 3G network -UPDATE]

Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> put forth on 1/2/2010 1:53 PM:

> As soon as you said firewall, I remembered having this problem before. I
> had meant to disable the firewall last night when testing the MiFi
> connection, but forgot.

First rule of thumb:  Network problem?  Disable all firewalls before additional
troubleshooting.

> I did it just now and was able to ping, finally, 192.168.1 .1.  I then
> http'ed to it and connected to the Admin page!!!  Entered the passwd and
> got to the configuration pages.!!!  No firewall running but tried to
> connect to Google anyway.  No Joy.  Checked /etc/resolv.conf. The DNS
> from the MiFi are not there so replaced one with the mifi dns but no
> joy.  I still think my routing is incomplete.

Can you ping any real addresses outside of 192.168.1.x?  Try 65.41.216.221.  If
you can ping that then your only remaining issue is DNS resolution.  Try pinging
www.google.com.  Packet timeout and no DNS will return different errors.

> I checked the firewall script (firehol) and found an obvious error. As I
> have been using modems I had  ehol) and found an obvious error. I've
> been using modems so I had PUBLIC_MYIF="ppp+". Changed  it to
> PUBLIC_MYIF="ath0", started the firewall, ran iptbles -S, tried to
> connect, No, so ran iptables -F, tried to connect, no, do stopped the
> firewall and connected to the admin page, but not to the internet.

I bet you have spent, and will spend, more time in your life screwing with
firewall problems on Linux desktop machines that you ever would fixing an
unfirewalled Linux machine that was compromised at the network layer, which is
the only thing packet firewalls prevent.  This scenario is true for the vast
majority of desktop Linux users:  packet firewalls cause more user problems than
they prevent.

> I have seen that.  Not to long ago either.  I fixed it but can't
> remember what I did. I 'think' it was due to an incorrect routing table
> or the firewall though

You fixed it unknowingly by changing your iptables rules through firehol.

Do yourself a huge favor.  Once you get the dns/routing table issues fixed, turn
off packet firewalling, permanently, or learn to use it correctly.

Anyway, glad to hear you are a few steps closer to getting this all straightened
out.

--
Stan