apt-get autoremove

Maybe this is a bug, maybe it isn't...

I installed the AMD64 Debian on my AMD64 box (emachines T6520 by the way).  Ever since the time I installed it, everytime I ran apt-get, I was given a couple screenfulls of package names that were no longer needed and could be removed by apt-get autoremove and 512M of disk space would be freed.

After a couple weeks, I got tired of seeing this message and I ran apt-get autoremove.

And so I rebooted and here I am using links to compose this e-mail because X become broken.  Actually, X does work, but it seems every window manager is broken.

I sort of feel stupid about taking it's advice.  It does appear I will have to reinstall Debian because of it.  (I thought Debian stable was stable because it didn't have such serious problems as this.  Granted it didn't freeze up with an Amiga-style fireworks display, but I still wish I had known what was going to happen.)

Tim Legg