Re: HOWTO enhance Debian by removing HAL

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 18:30 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Sven Joachim wrote:
> > This will take at least one more release cycle, more likely two, if it
> > is ever accomplished.  It is very hard to remove functionality from the
> > set of essential packages.
>
> So probably still better to help speed up that process instead of forking.

5 years with 2 release cycles didn't change much apart from removed
bashisms.  It's still uncertain whether another 2 cycles will be
enough to achieve that goal.  I'm beginning to doubt mainstream Debian
will have bash out of essential in my lifetime (63yo).  A possible
solution is a new set of essential packages, implying a fork.

The point of my aside you kindly jumped on was while doing a fork
don't forget to remove bash from essential.

Thanks
  Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de