Re: mutt: compose message in new window [was: Re: Musings on debian-user list]

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 04:39:10AM EDT, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Wed,29.Jul.09, 18:47:55, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > The only thing I find "frustrating" about mutt is that it is impossible
> > to view more than one message at a time - you actually have to fire up a
> > second instance of mutt to achieve this.
>
> The only time I *really* needed this is at compose time.

Sorry for being sloppy, that's what I meant.

> I searched the web for a solution and the only thing that comes close
> is the solution in this thread
>
> http://does-not-exist.org/mail-archives/mutt-users/msg14344.html

The mutt-user archive seems to be broken - if you display this message
and try to display the thread index, it does display an index but there
is no trace of this particular thread, which makes the ensuing
discussion difficult to follow..

So, I'm not sure I understand the solution & how it improves on:

  → :sh while composing in vim
  → start new instance of mutt
  → do what you have to do - e.g. copy parts of messages
  → 'q'+'Ctrl-D' to return to composing

[..]

CJ