scanner access not easy

I have an HP ScanJet 6200C usb scanner, which used to work.  It
stopped working, for some reason.

I also have a Samsung printer, which uses the Samsung Unified Linux
driver.  Both these devices had been coexisting peacefully.  However, I
did read, via an internet search, that sometimes the printing driver
interferes with sane accessing a scanner.  My problems today began when
my scanner would only work as root.  For the regular user, it gave me a
"segmentation fault" reading.  So, I uninstalled the printing driver,
and my scanner did start working again.

I then reinstalled the printing driver, via a debian package that I
found on the internet, rather than from source, to see if this would
help.  It didn't, and now my scanner cannot be run even as root.

I'm using Etch, with fluxbox.  Here is some information:

mark@debian:~$ sane-find-scanner

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0201 [HP
ScanJet 6200C]) at libusb:001:004

debian:/home/mark# scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
different, ...

debian:/home/mark# scanimage -d hp:libusb:001:004
scanimage: open of device hp:libusb:001:004 failed: Error during device
I/O

So, it's there, and there is a backend that works for it.  I have
libusb installed.  I removed the samsung driver (the debian package)
and still no luck.

So, if anyone has any suggestions, please forward them my way.

Mark