Re: chroot

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 11:42:14PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 02:12:08PM -0700, Mike McClain wrote:
> > I have two different but fairly complete versions of
> > Debian installed on separate partitoins on my computer
> > Sarge on hdc1 and Etch on hda1. If from Etch I chroot
> > into Sarge then execute some command 'ls' for instance.
> > Which 'ls' is being executed, Sarge's or Etch's and how
> > can I see which is running?
>
> It's running the one inside the system (host or chroot) you
> are currently in.  You need to be able to check which is
> which.
>
> cat /etc/debian_version to double check.
>
> Or, install schroot and set it up to access your chroot; it
> will set the bash prompt and /etc/debian_chroot to tell you
> where you are.

Well that's what I expected until the mail I DL'd in the chrooted
Sarge couldn't be read from Sarge but showed up in Etch.
Still when I tried to chroot into an empty partition it failed due
to the lack of /bin/bash and as you said when chrooted into Sarge
/etc/debian_version is 3.1. I've openvt tied to ALT+up-arrow
in Etch and when I enter it in Sarge it opens another VT in Etch.
This is a bit confusing.
Thanks,
Mike