Re: bring back hdd from dd urandom

josep schreef:
:D ok, now I can format the hdd, but I had to use a "non-msdos MBR", - bsd, amiga :O

I started again, in gparted, with an ms-dos mbr...it worked :D...

but....

fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sdb: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

and I can only write to it, when I'm root...:S

Of course you can only write to it when you're root, you don't want a normal user to be able to format your drives. ;-)

Try this:

# fdisk /dev/sdb

then in the fdisk shell, use 'n' to add new partitions, set the partition type to for example ext3. Then when you're done, use 'w' to quit. You may need to reboot for the changes to take effect. After that, format the partition correctly, for example if you've chosen ext3:

# mkfs.ext3

Now you can mount /dev/sdb1 and write to it. Your disk will be allright.

Sjors