[no subject]

I am trying to install Debian Etch on a box that already has Fedora but when using debootstrap I get the message

Installer error: Failure trying to run: chroot /target mount -t proc proc /proc

There are more details below but could somebody enlighten me as to its meaning and what's going wrong? Ta, M

Details: Fedora fc7 box is Core2 Duo with LVM, make a new partition / debian_chroot, install debootstrap using yum, run debootstrap to install etch for arch amd64 using UK mirror. Installs/verifies many packages then gives above error. /var/log/messages is empty (!).