Re: Debian on Sun LDoms?

On Friday 04 April 2008 13:40:14 Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/04/08 11:59, JW wrote:
> > I'm testing out a Sun T1000 with LDoms and want to try running Debian in
> > a guest domain. I'm not able to find any information about running Debian
> > under LDoms with google, although I did find some pages talking about
> > running Ubuntu in an LDom - Sun only specifies that "Linux" can be used.
> >
> > Has anyone tried this with Debian?
> >
> > Anyone know if it's possible, or have any other information about it?
>
> Shouldn't the same info about Ubuntu apply to Debian?

That depends (I think the answer is "No") - exactly what info are you
referring to?

At this time, as best I can tell the Linux distro that is going to be
installed needs to have some specific features (I guess at the kernel level)
in order to run inside the LDom host. It's not like VMWare, where the host
can run any generic PC OS because it's a full emulator.

The client OS has to have the support for the Sun virtual hardware, at the
very least.

Sun specifically says that Ubuntu and Gento are able to run as an LDoms guest.

I found some references to the fact that Ubuntu "Gusty" is able to run in the
guest -- apparently "out of the box". I haven't read maybe Ubuntu-specific
details yet.

Again, my question is; has anyone done this with Debian?

Thanks,

	JW

--

System Administrator - Cedar Creek Software