Re: tapes best for backup?

On Jan 5, 2008, at 1:20 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 01/05/08 15:00, David Brodbeck wrote:
On Jan 5, 2008, at 8:06 AM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
I started this thread on debian-user after a thread on OpenBSD berated
someone for relying on CD/DVDs for backups and archives because they
fade over time.
If that's the concern, why not copy the archived material to new media every five years or so? The discs aren't that expensive, and experience seems to suggest that the data is pretty safe for that time period. Keeping the current and previous copy would add another layer of safety -- two copies are unlikely to both get damaged in exactly the same spot.

But since that's tedious and prone to forgetfulness (who remembers to copy -- possibly dozens of -- DVD's and CR-Rs to new media every FIVE years?), continuous/rotating backup to modern ultrahigh-density hard drives seems best for home and SOHO use.

That's pretty much what I do. I archive some stuff to optical media, but it's mostly old software and TV program recordings -- stuff that's nice to have, but that I wouldn't be too hacked off if I lost.