JFS suitability [Was Re: Opinions XFS]

Hello Stefan,

We've been having a discussion on debian-user on the differences between
XFS and JFS and where one would be better than the other for different
applications.  In the course of the discussion, Justin Piszcz sent a
copy of an email he received from Dave Kleikamp at IBM who doesn't
recommend JFS for enterprise use because it no longer has a full-time
maintainer.

I wondered how an important package like a filesystem would end up in
debian main stable when upstream doesn't recommend it.  I thought that
this would by itself have created a release-critical bug that would keep
it out of stable.

Would you care to comment or shed light on this issue?

Please reply to the debian-user mailing list if possible.

Thanks,

Doug Tutty.