Re: laptop sid upgrade. network works till startx then get agpgart kernel error and no network connectivity

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 23:31:07 -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> On 17:19 Sat 28 Jul     , Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > Other options to try are "pci=routeirq", "acpi=off" and "nolapic" (plus
> > combinations of all of the above).
>
> I was away for a few days Florian!
> Great ideas!
> The one that works was acpi=off. Once I added that in, I no longer had
> crash of network after I started X.  The others had no effect.
>
> > Since this seems to be an interrupt problem it might help to see the
> > output of
> >
> > cat /proc/interrupts
> >
> > before and after the network card fails.
>
> before the network card fails

[...]

> 9:      13673    XT-PIC-XT        acpi
> 10:          5    XT-PIC-XT        yenta, VIA8233, VIA82XX-MODEM
> 11:        156    XT-PIC-XT        eth0

[...]

> here is cat /proc/interrupts  after the failure

[...]

> 9:      17249    XT-PIC-XT        acpi, via@pci:0000:01:00.0
> 10:          5    XT-PIC-XT        yenta, VIA8233, VIA82XX-MODEM
> 11:     200000    XT-PIC-XT        eth0

[...]

> lspci| egrep -i 'net|ether|vga|display|video'
>
> 00:09.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01)
> 00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [S3 UniChrome] Integrated Video (rev 01)

Hmm, once the via driver gets loaded it shares IRQ 9 with acpi and that
makes the via_rhine driver on IRQ 11 crash. That kind of thing can be
difficult to fix. Did your Sid upgrade involve a new kernel? If so then
it might be the simplest thing to go back to the old kernel or to make
do without acpi for now. Otherwise you might have to be prepared to read
the documentation and changelogs of all involved kernel modules and hope
that somewhere there is a module option which fixes this. Since I don't
have this hardware I cannot say anything more.

> lsmod | egrep 'drm|agp|rhine'
>
> before the network crash
>
> via_agp                10304  1
> agpgart                32264  1 via_agp
> via_rhine              24136  0
> mii                     5696  1 via_rhine
>
> lsmod | egrep 'drm|agp|rhine'
> after the network crash
>
> drm                    76628  3 via
> via_agp                10304  1
> agpgart                32264  2 drm,via_agp
> via_rhine              24136  0
> mii                     5696  1 via_rhine
>
> and now when I startx after booting with acpi=off
> this is the tail of dmesg after I startx. Notice there is no kernel
> crash  of
>
> [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
> [drm] Initialized via 2.11.1 20070202 on minor 0
> agpgart: Found an AGP 3.5 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
> agpgart: BIOS bug. AGP bridge claims to only support x4 rateFixing up
> support for x2 & x1
> agpgart: Device is in legacy mode, falling back to 2.x
> agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
> agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode
>
> notice no report bad irq crash from the kernel!
>
> OK. So  now what do I do next? I notice that the laptop is very very
> hot in running. it is an averatec 3250HX-01.

This may be related to disabling acpi. Did you check if someone has
posted something about this model on tuxmobil.org?

          Florian   |