upgrading to etch

Does anyone know what function/package does the prompting for replacing configuration files during an upgrade? Any one know how to automate the answers. Here is an example

Configuration file `/etc/exim4/conf.d/auth/30_exim4-config_examples'

 ==> Deleted (by you or by a script) since installation.

 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.

   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:

    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version

    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version

      D     : show the differences between the versions

      Z     : background this process to examine the situation

 The default action is to keep your current version.

*** 30_exim4-config_examples (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

I am getting the same message for exim4, php.ini, sysctl.conf, cupsysd.conf and ntp.conf.

I am looking for a way to automate the answers.

Tony Heal