Re: apache2 - SSL

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 06:55:01AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> I'm trying to set up apache2 for SSL.
> Did not find anything in the /usr/share/docs for apache2 related to
> ssl so I'm thinking the SSL stuff is pretty much up to me.

It is just a matter of enabling the module and configuring to operate
how you want.

> Do I have to generate the Certs or are they generated during
> installation?

IIRC, apache2 ships the the snakeoil certificates.  However, don't want
to actually use those for anything.  The SSL howto at tldp.org details
how to create your own certificated authority, create a certificate
request and then generate and self-sign the certificate.  If you are
setting this up for personal use, that is all you need.  If this is some
sort of e-commerce or other site where users will be thrown off by an
untrusted CA notification in their browsers, then you will need to buy a
certificate.

> How do I specify http:80 and https:443?

Using Listen directives.

Regards,