Re: Moving a Debian install in to new hardware?

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 13:19 -0800, Jimmy Liang wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm in need of some hints here. I have a P4 box running Debian 3.1, with
> things like Postfix, spamassassin, MySQL, Apache, and other misc
> softwares.
> What I want to do is to move all that to a new box I have, with dual Xeon.
> Can you suggest the best way to do this? I'd like to move it to a larger
> drive, if possible, but its not critical.
>
> 1. I can do a new install on the Xeon, and migrate the content one by one,
> but this is by far the slowest. Is there a way to extract the list of
> packages I have on the P4, and have apt-get read that list to install?

check the archives. how to extract a list of installed packages has been
covered numerous times. (im not trying to sound rude)

> 2. If I simply take the drive and put it in the new box, can anyone think
> of any problems? missing drivers and such? I don't know enough about the
> Debian installer or the Linux kernel to know if they treat the P4 and Xeon
> chips differently.

if you use 386 as your processor type for the kernel you'll be ok.
otherwise you could install multiple kernels (686, k7) and then choose
the one you want via grub.

> 3. If and when I do need to exchange it for the larger drive, how would I
> go about doing that without any reinstalls?

again, google for "copy hard drive" or similar words.

-matt zagrabelny