Re: nvidia vs. nv drivers

dawizz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Funny, but at the same time I want to use a nvidia gforce  6200.
> This AGP version is installed on a Asus A7N266-E MOBO and athlon cpu
> I'm using debian etch with kernel-image-2.6-k7

Generally, I find the nvidia packages even in debian unstable to depend on
kernels I don't use and aren't exactly flexible.  Instead, I get kernel
headers, symlink the headers directory to /usr/src/linux and just get
nvidia's installer.  Downside with this is for some reason requires
reinstallation of the nvidia drivers after reboot.  This is a pain in the
ass, I blame nvidia for not looking out for devfs on this, mostly on casual
observation and basic process of elimination.

Personally, just for the sake of simplicity, I value not having to think
about dev slightly more than not thinking about running UT or flightgear.
Pardon me, nVidia, for having a life so I can give up and do something else
than bother with trying to use your undertested drivers casually.  Fix it
yourselves or work something out with SGI so you can GPL it already!

I haven't bothered to sit down and figure out how to fix it because I just
bash scripted around the problem so I can do the whole reinstallation with
just one command.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca