Promise SATAI150 TX4 not visible to sarge debian-kernel 2.6.8-2 even with modprobe. Does work with etch 2.6.12-1 kernel

Hi,

I am setting up a server with SATA drives. I will use software raid 1, thus
don't care about "bios" "raid".

I tried the Highpoint 1520 cards. I discovered that they need the proprietary
hpt driver  downloaded from their site. It currently does work with 2.6.8-2
kernels after you copy it over the hpt366.ko  module and rerun mkinitrd to
trick the kernel. I moved on :).

I read that the Promise SATAI150 TX4 4channel SATA controller has
kernel support is listed as "production level" in the Linuxmafia Sata Faq.

I report that the device is  not visible to debian-kernel 2.6.8-2 even with
modprobe of the  sata_promise module. I see on lsmod the relevant modules are
up and still no devices.

However I got the card  to work  instantly by  installing the  etch
2.6.12-1-386 kernel. I got immediate recognition of drives etc.

How do I report a bug to the debian-kernel team?

Mitchell