/etc/modprobe.d/sound does't work

Hi there,

Linux without sound sucks. Please help me sort it out.

I'm struggling to get my sound card nm256av working under kernel 2.6.11. As some searches from google tell me, the alsa driver for neomagic 2200 has problem. It can detect the souncard but can't drive it correctly. QUOTE from

http://www.linups.org/modules/doc/documentos/thinkpad-us/thinkpad-us.html
"With a first look it may seem enough to enable the NM256AV/NM256ZX audio driver, but it's not even near the truth, because there are two versions of the NeoMagic audio chip: AV, SoundBlaster compatible and ZX, AC97 compatible. This driver enables AC97 sound and it doesn't work for the AV chip."

I try to use some alternative drivers like opl3sa2/es423x etc. But the problem is when you make any changes to /etc/modprobe.d/sound followed by update-modules, the system will still dectect the soundcard as nm256 and load the driver nm256 (I guess this is due to hotplug??).

My question is how to tell the hotplug not to handle the sound card automatically and how to get the settings in /etc/modprobe.d/sound to work? Many thanks for any help.

--
With best wishes!
Shidai