Re: Need help converting Quicktime/MOV to DVD

If you still have the raw DV material, you might try do convert directly
to interlaced MPEG2. In my tests iMovie did not care about interlacing
and the MOV's it produced were horrible.

This is what I used to transcode several .dif files, as produced by
iMovie into MPEG2:

#!/bin/sh

for f in clip_*.dif; do
        out=${out//%.dif/}
        transcode -i $f -x dv --dv_yuy2_mode --encode_fields b \
                -y mpeg2enc,lame -F 8,"-D 10 -q 1 -2 1 -4 1" --export_asr 2 \
		-w 7500 -b 128 \
                -o ${out}
done

You should consult the manpage for transcode and mpeg2enc for details.

-F 8 chooses the DVD profile for mpeg2enc.  "-D 10 -q 1 -2 1 -4 1"
are some high quality options I have been experimenting with.

--encode_fields b is for bottom first interlaced material, as it comes
from most PAL videocams.

transcode creates different files for the audio and video streams, but
I multiplexed them with mplex.

There are several things to care about when care about when preparing a
DVD because the hardware decoders are not so flexible as the software
ones.  man mplex gives, I think, some good advice on good MPEG2 streams
for DVD authoring.

Hope it helps,
Ionut