Re: Kernel-image: 2.6-686 vs 2.6.8-2-686

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 04:06:54AM -0800, rds wrote:
> --- Andreas RiRippla.riripplmgmxet> wrote:
> > But, I for one prefer _not_ to upgrade my kernel packages automatically,
> > so I install the next version whenever I choose to. Which more and more
> > makes sense to me, as the newest 2.6 kernels seem to have some stability
> > issues at the moment, so I am happily running 2.6.7-1-686-smsmp.
>
> That's a good point. But wouldn't you want to be "advised" that you need to
> install a new kernel in case if, say, there is a security exploit in the "old"
> kernel? That was the reasoning behind my desire to auto upgrade kernel.

True, however I am also lazy(tm). I tend to do kernel upgrades every
three or four releases, because I also have to track some self-compiled
kernel modules. As I am behind a modem that is on rarely, I guess I can
take the risk of running a little bit outdated. Also, as mentioned
above, it seems that the kernel developers chose to work on improving
the kernel in the 2.6 branch instead of forking a 2.7 as would have been
the case normally.

That is not to say that it might not make sense for others to go for the
automatic update. IIRC, you have some questions to answer when an upgrade
is due (for initrd and for lilo), so you would have some control over
wether you want to go ahead with a new version. Every one needs to find
the balance between new functionality, stability and security concerns, I
guess...
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
                 Key-ID: 0x81073379