Re: automounting

No, I wasn't automounting as root either; had already checked that. my /etc/fstab is ok; tried putting in kudzu and it made no difference. Read in the README.debian for autofs that I needed to compile the kernel with autofs support as a module; I did this but even though I see a "probe" line for it in /etc/modutils/autofs, the module doesn't seem to load unless I load it. I do see /var/auto/misc and will try this, although I frankly think it's weird to have your mount points in /var. Also, sometime in the past couple of weeks messing with this, i seem to have picked up a /media directory with /cdrom which is a link to cdrom0; also has cdrom1 which makes sense since I have a cdrom and cdrecorder. The cdrom is /dev/hdd and is what i want to automount at this point along with /dev/fd0. Where would /media have come from? I have no errors in /var/log/messages; I'm simply told the file doesn't exist if I ls /mnt/cdrom/cdrom or ls /mnt/floppy/floppy. of course /mnt/floppy and /mnt/cdrom do exist because i created them, but apparently in debian those aren't even the mount points.

--
Cheryl